Transgender Serial Killer Donna Perry blames murders on former “male identity”
March 20, 2014
Serial Killer suspect Douglas “Donna” Perry is back in Spokane after completing his Federal sentence on weapons charges. Perry faces triple murder charges for the slayings of Yolanda Sapp, Kathleen Brisbois and Nickie Lowe in 1990. He is still under investigation for other murders. According to court documents filed in January, a cellmate of Perry claimed he confessed to murdering a total of nine women who had been exploited by men into prostitution. He killed them because they had the ability to have children and were “wasting it being pond scum”. Tragically, ATF agents who pried open a sealed and painted-over closet in Perry’s home in 2012 while investigating weapons charges failed to inventory the boxes of women’s panties and other apparent “trophy items” kept by him there. You can read about this, about Perry’s long criminal history, and about the 24 year investigation which culminated in this week’s events at the previous GenderTrender post HERE, which contains news archives and information not available elsewhere. The boyfriend of one of Perry’s former cellmates posts comments at that link as well.
Douglas Perry was remanded to the Spokane County Jail but refused to appear in court to face triple homicide charges Monday. Survivors of the victims- family and loved ones who arranged time off work and traveled to the Spokane County courtroom were forced to wait until Tuesday when Perry finally consented to a four minute appearance rather than face a drag order. Bail was set at one million dollars. You can see partial video of Perry’s court appearance from KHQ News HERE.
According to court affidavit, Perry told investigators that his male persona committed the murders but his female persona was innocent. When asked why the murders stopped, Perry is quoted as saying “Douglas didn’t stop, Donna stopped it.” Perry is also recorded as stating that he believes medical gender treatments are a cure for violent men who despise women and torture-kill them. “There’s a great downturn in violence,” he says, adding that surgical sex change is “a permanent way to control violence.” Perry flew to Thailand in 2000, where he underwent castration and surgical inversion of his penis into a condom-shaped pouch meant to approximate a vagina.
Perry’s comments echo a common refrain seen on transgender support sites among men who undergo medical gender treatments seeking a dampening of anti-social sexual urges, sexual compulsivity, and illegal acts, as well as a “fresh start” or re-invention of a life trajectory gone awry.
Perry, now linked to the three murders by DNA, fingerprint, and other evidence, claims innocence due to gender re-invention. “I’m not going to admit I killed anybody, I didn’t. Donna has killed nobody,” and “I don’t know if Doug did or not, it was 20 years ago and I have no idea whether he did or did not,” he was quoted in the affidavit, dated January 14.
You can read the full affidavit in PDF form by clicking HERE.
There is evidence that Perry’s legal team wholeheartedly supports a transgenderist identity defense: their sole request of the court was that defendant’s criminal name Douglas be erased from all court documents and replaced by the name Donna. His legal team, headed by Anna Nordtvedt, claimed they had been unable to see Douglas previously because the legal team refused to submit that request using the name on his criminal record. That a defense team’s single priority during arraignment of a triple-murder suspect is the request that legal records be changed to reflect his “gendered” female name is a strong indicator that establishing a new legal persona for Perry is critical to his defense. One can think of no other rationale for submitting the bizarre and politicized claim that legal counsel was barred from seeing the defendant by the legal team’s own refusal to use the name on Douglas’s criminal record to arrange meetings with him. You can see counsel’s bizarre claim at the video link posted above.
Perry and counsel are scheduled for his next court appearance March 25.